domingo, 20 de mayo de 2018

Aniversarios (CCXXVII) [Mayo / May 14-20]

Todos los aniversarios de Mayo aquí / All anniversaries for May here.
_________________________________________________________

El 14 de Mayo es el cumple de

Lily Garafulic Yankovic, escultora chilena nacida en 1914 en Antofagasta. Fue miembro de la Generación del 40 y directora del Museo de Bellas Artes.
Recibió una Beca Guggenheimen la ciudad de Nueva York en 1944.
Lily comenzó a asistir a la Escuela de Bellas Artes de la Universidad de Chile en 1934, donde estudió con el escultor Lorenzo Domínguez. En 1944, fue galardonada con una beca Guggenheim en la ciudad de Nueva York, donde estudió en la New School of Social Research (ahora llamada The New School) y trabajó con el grabador Stanley William Hayter en Atelier 17.

"Rapto de Europa / The Rape of Europe"
Mármol blanco / white marble, 28,7 × 66,5 × 37, 5 cm., 1953
Museo de arte contemporáneo, Facultad de Artes, Universidad de Chile (Santiago de Chile). Ante Santiago

Fue una escultora que trabajó principalmente con mármol, madera, bronce y terracota. También creó muchas obras en papel. Entre las obras más notables de Garafulic se encuentran las estatuas de dieciséis profetas colocadas en la parte superior de la Basílica de Lourdes en Santiago de Chile.
Fue miembro de la Generación del 40, que contaba con escultores chilenos tales como Marta Colvin.
Garafulic se convirtió en profesora de escultura en la Universidad de Chile en 1951. Entre sus alumnos estuvieron Sergio Badilla Castillo y Raúl Valdivieso. Se convirtió en profesora emérita en la Universidad de Chile en 1997. También se desempeñó como directora del Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de Chile desde 1973 hasta 1977.
Recibió el Premio Nacional de Artes Plásticas en 1995. En la Embajada de Chile en Washington DC, en 2014, se exhibió una muestra celebrando el centenario de su nacimiento.
Murió en 2012.

"Moisés / Moses", granito / granite, 75 x 33 x 50 cm., 1950
Museo Nacional de esculturas (Talca, Chile)

Izq./ Left: "Dos mundos / Two Worlds", mármol blanco / white marble, 37 x 42 x 19 cm., 1990
Colección particular / Private Collection
Der./ Right: "Aku de la angustia / Aku of Anguish", mármol blanco / white marble, 110 cm., 1964
Colección particular / Private Collection

On May 14 is the birthday of

Lily Garafulic Yankovic, Chilean sculptress born in 1914 in Antofagasta. She was a member of the Generation of 40 (Generación del 40) artists, and director of the Museo de Bellas Artes. 
Garafulic was a recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship in New York City in 1944.
Lily began attending the School of Fine Arts at the University of Chile in 1934, where she studied under the sculptor Lorenzo Domínguez. In 1944, she was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship to New York City, where she studied at the New School of Social Research (now called The New School) and worked with the engraver and printmaker Stanley William Hayter at Atelier 17.

Serie Signo 3 / Sign 3 Series - "Signo Idiomático / Idiomatic Sign", bronce / bronze, c.1980-83. Link

She was primarily a sculptor, working with marble, wood, bronze, and terra cotta. She also created many works on paper. Among Garafulic's most noted works are statues of sixteen prophets placed on the top of Lourdes Basilica in Santiago, Chile.
She was a member of the Generation of 40 (Generación del 40) artists, which included other Chilean sculptors, including Marta Colvin.
Garafulic became a professor of sculpture at the University of Chile in 1951. Her students included Sergio Badilla Castillo and Raúl Valdivieso. She became a professor emerita at the University of Chile in 1997. She also served as the director of the Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts from 1973 until 1977.
She received the Premio Nacional de Artes Plásticas award in 1995. A centennial exhibit celebrating her work was displayed at the Chilean Embassy in Washington DC in 2014.
She died in 2012.

Serie Signo 3 / Sign 3 Series - "Cópula cósmica / Cosmic Copulation"
Bronce / bronze, 55 x 22 cm.
Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Santiago de Chile)


El 15 de Mayo es el cumple de

Hendrick de Keyser, escultor y arquitecto holandés nacido en 1565 en Utrecht. Fue el padre del arquitecto y pintor retratista Thomas de Keyser.
De joven fue aprendiz del Maestro Cornelis Bloemaert el Viejo. A os 26 años siguió a Bloemaert a Amsterdam. Pronto se puso a trabajar como artista independiente. Cuando su talento se hizo apreciado en general, fue nombrado albañil y escultor de la ciudad. De hecho, sus deberes incluían todas las tareas ahora asociadas con el trabajo del arquitecto. De Keyser es famoso por una serie de edificios importantes que pertenecen al núcleo de los sitios históricos holandeses. Hoy la Zuiderkerk (1603-1611) y la torre que la acompaña(1614), el Ayuntamiento de Delft (1618-1620), la Westerkerk (1620-1631) y la Westertoren (construida en 1638 pero en una versión modificada) se encuentran entre los edificios históricos que proporcionan importante información sobre el trabajo de De Keyser.

"Erasmo de Rotterdam / Erasmus", bronce / bronze, 1622
Rotterdam, Holanda / Netherlands
Fue creada por Hendrick de Keyser en reemplazo de una estatua de piedra de 1557 /
It was created by Hendrick de Keyser, replacing a stone statue of 1557.
Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 10/2013

"Erasmo de Rotterdam Erasmus" (detalle / detail) Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 10/2013

Los proyectos de Hendrick de Keyser en Amsterdam durante las primeras décadas del siglo XVII ayudaron a establecer un estilo manierista tardío denominado "Renacimiento de Amsterdam". Se desvía en muchos aspectos de la arquitectura del Renacimiento italiano del siglo XVI. Elementos clásicos como pilastras, cornisas y frontones se utilizaron a gran escala, pero principalmente como elementos decorativos. De Keyser nunca siguió servilmente los principios de la arquitectura clásica como se establece en los tratados italianos. Su versión llegó a su pleno florecimiento a fines de la segunda década del siglo XVII, y preparó el escenario para la posterior fase clásica holandesa de Jacob van Campen y Pieter Post. La Casa de las Indias Orientales en Amsterdam probablemente también fue diseñada por él.
Además de su carrera como arquitecto, De Keyser se mantuvo activo como escultor. Diseñó la tumba de Guillermo de Orange (William the Silent) para la Nieuwe Kerk en Delft (1614-1623). Sin embargo no vivió para ver la obra finalizada.
Murió en 1621.

"Busto de un hombre desconocido / Bust of an Unknown Man"
Terracota / terracotta, 72,5 x 54 cm., 1606
Rijkmuseum (Ámsterdam, Holanda / Netherlands)

On May 15 is the birthday of

Hendrick de Keyser, Dutch sculptor and architect born in 1565 in Utrecht, Netherlands. He was the father of Thomas de Keyser who was an architect and portrait painter.
As a young man he was apprenticed to master Cornelis Bloemaert the elder. At the age of 26 he followed Bloemaert to Amsterdam. Soon he set to work as an independent artist. When his talent became generally appreciated he was appointed city stonemason and sculptor. In fact his duties included all of the tasks now associated with the job of city architect. De Keyser is famous for a number of important buildings which belong to the core of Dutch historic sites. Today the Zuiderkerk (1603-1611) and accompanying tower (1614), the Delft Town Hall (1618-1620), the Westerkerk (1620-1631) and Westertoren (built in 1638 but in a modified version) are among the historic buildings which provide important insights into De Keyser’s work.

"Mercurio / Mercury", bronce / bronze, altura / height: 32,3 cm., 1611
Rijkmuseum (Ámsterdam, Holanda / Netherlands)

Hendrick de Keyser's projects in Amsterdam during the early decades of the 17th century helped establish a late Mannerist style referred to as "Amsterdam Renaissance". It deviates in many respects from sixteenth-century Italian Renaissance architecture. Classical elements such as pilasters, cornices and frontons were used on a large scale, but mainly as decorative elements. De Keyser never slavishly followed the tenets of classical architecture as laid down in the Italian treatises. His version came to full bloom at the end of the second decade of the 17th century, and set the stage for the later Dutch classical phase of Jacob van Campen and Pieter Post. The East India House in Amsterdam was most likely also designed by him.
Apart from pursuing a career as an architect, De Keyser remained active as a sculptor. He designed the tomb of William the Silent for the Nieuwe Kerk at Delft (1614-1623). However, De Keyser did not live to see the finished product.
He died in 1621.


"Busto de un hombre, probablemente / Bust of a man, probably Vincent Coster"
Mármol / marble, altura / height: 75 cm., 1608
Rijkmuseum (Ámsterdam, Holanda / Netherlands)


El 16 de Mayo es el cumple de

Emil Herman Robert Cedercreutz, barón, escultor y artista de siluetas finlandés nacido en 1879 en Köyliö, Gran Ducado de Finlandia, conocido por sus esculturas de caballos.
Estudió en la Escuela de Dibujo de la Sociedad de Arte finlandesa en Helsinki y más tarde en Bruselas 1903-1904, Roma 1904-1905 y en la Académie Julian en París de 1906 a 1909. Fue influenciado por los escultores como Charles van der Stappen, Constantin Meunier y Auguste Rodin, así como el movimiento Tolstoyan.

"Äidinrakkaus / Amor de madre / Mother's Love", bronce / bronze, 1928
Helsinki, Finlandia / FinlandPinterest

En 1914 omenzó a trabajar en su nuevo atelier junto al río Kokemäenjoki en el municipio de Harjavalta. También coleccionaba artefactos históricos del campo de la provincia de Satakunta. En 1916 estableció un museo en Harjavalta, conocido hoy como el Museo Emil Cedercreutz, que muestra colecciones del trabajo de Cedercreutz, la historia cultural y exposiciones temporales de arte.
Murió en 1949.

"Satakunnan karhu / Oso de Satakunta / Satakunta's Bear", 1938 
Town Hall Park (Pori, Finlandia / Finland). Wikimedia Commons

"Varsa / Potro / Foal", bronce / bronze, 26 x 28 cm., 1942
Foto / Photo: Pasi Annala. Harjavalta

Emil Cedercreutz en "El Hurgador" / in this blog[Asonancias (XV)]

On May 16 is the birthday of

Emil Herman Robert Cedercreutz, Finnish Baron, sculptor and silhouette artist born in 1879 in Köyliö, Grand Duchy of Finland, best known of his horse sculptures.
He studied in the Finnish Art Society's Drawing School in Helsinki and later in Brussels 1903–1904, Rome 1904–1905 and in Académie Julian in Paris from 1906 to 1909. He was influenced by the sculptors like Charles van der Stappen, Constantin Meunier ja Auguste Rodin as well as the Tolstoyan movement.

"Verikoiria", bronce / bronze, 76 x 207 x 52 cm., 1937
Museo Emil Cedercreutz (Harjavalta, Finlandia / Finland)

"Ensi kertaa mallina / Primera vez como modelo / First Time as a Model"
Bronce / bronze, 195 x 63 x 77 cm., 1903. Harjavalta
La escultura tiene un pedestal angular que también incluye texto; su base está grabada con poemas escritos por el poeta francés Téophile Gautier. /
The sculpture has an angular pedestal that also includes text; its base is engraved with poems written by the French poet Téophile Gautier.

In 1914 Cedercreutz started working in his new atelier by the river Kokemäenjoki in the municipality of Harjavalta. He was also collecting historical artifacts from the countryside of Satakunta province. In 1916 he established a museum in Harjavalta, known today as the Emil Cedercreutz Museum, showing collections of Cedercreutz's work, cultural history and temporary art exhibitions.
He died in 1949.

"Sirkushevonen / Caballo de circo / Circus Horse"
Bronce / bronze, original: 1946, refundida / re-casting: 2009 
Old Rauma Tekkala park (Rauma, Finlandia / Finland). Wikimedia Commons
________________________________________

El 16 de Mayo es el cumple de

Günter Ferdinand Ris, escultor y diseñador alemán nacido en 1928 en Leverkusen.
Después de un servicio militar voluntario en los años 1943 a 1945, Ris estudió de 1947 a 1951 en las academias de Karlsruhe, Dusseldorf y Friburgo de Brisgovia. Comenzó su carrera en 1952 como tipógrafo, pintor de retratos y consultor publicitario. En 1960 recurrió a la escultura, donde logró éxitos iniciales, participando en la Bienal Museo de Arte Moderno, París, Documenta II (1959) y Documenta III (1964), Kassel, y el Pabellón alemán, Bienal de Venecia, 1966,
Sus esculturas claras y concretas en el espacio público son de una severidad sensual y una claridad no patética, y alrededor de 1970 expresaron formalmente una actitud social básica que se reflejó políticamente en la era de Brandt / Scheel en un esfuerzo por lograr la transparencia y la tolerancia. Al igual que el nuevo edificio de la Cancillería Federal como una subestimación estructural sin decoración representativa siguió consideraciones puramente funcionales, la pared de luz que define la habitación instalada en el vestíbulo, frente a la sala de prensa, invita espontánea e impresionantemente a reflexiones sobre esta nueva apertura.

"Wasserlichtfeldspiegel", acero inoxidable / stainless steel, 600 cm., 1977
Stadthaus (Berliner Platz 2, Bonn, Alemania / Germany). Wikimedia Commons

Cuenco de agua pulida plana brillante de acero inoxidable, grupo de 45 estelas blancas en altura alterna y diferentes planos en forma de C, fuente de luz incorporada en forma de lámparas de neón /
Circular flat shiny polished stainless steel water basin, group of overall 45 white steles in alternating height and different C-shaped plot, built-in light source in the form of neon lamps.

Sus obras se convirtieron en productos exportables a nivel internacional y una figura emblemática de la nueva época, que anunciaba el fin de la Guerra Fría, por ejemplo, la fuente frente a la Embajada de Alemania en Brasilia o sus obras en la Expo '70 en Osaka.
La combinación del dibujo, la pintura y la arquitectura en la escultura fue uno de sus principales intereses artísticos, que abordó desde diferentes direcciones. En su último trabajo de 1996, tomó el grupo de trabajo "Paysages architectuals" de los años 60 y continuó desarrollando estos paisajes arquitectónicos de plástico blanco en una variedad como variaciones musicales sobre un tema. Entre otras cosas, también trabajó como diseñador y desarrolló muebles, interiores y, por ejemplo, para Rosenthal un servicio de café y té, gafas y la silla pelota "Sunball" (1969), de la que se están produciendo nuevamente réplicas desde 2015.
Murió en 2005.

G.F.Ris & Herbert Selldorf por encargo de / commissioned by the Rosenthal company
"Silla Disco Solar / Sunball Chair", 150 x 168 cm., diseñada en / designed 1968. Drem Impulse

On May 16 is the birthday of

Günter Ferdinand Ris, German sculptor and designer born in 1928 in Leverkusen.
After a voluntary military service in the years 1943 to 1945, Ris studied from 1947 to 1951 at the academies in Karlsruhe, Dusseldorf and Freiburg im Breisgau. He began his career in 1952 as a typographer, portrait painter and advertising consultant. In 1960 he turned to sculpture, where he achieved initial successes (Biennale Musée d'Art Moderne, Paris, Documenta II (1959) and documenta III (1964), Kassel, German Pavilion, Venice Biennale 1966).
His clear, concrete sculptures in the public space are of sensual severity and non-pathetic clarity, and around 1970 formally expressed a basic social attitude that was reflected politically in the era of Brandt / Scheel in an effort to achieve transparency and tolerance. Just as the new Federal Chancellery building as a structural understatement without any representative decoration followed purely functional considerations, the room-defining wall of light installed in the foyer - in front of the press room - spontaneously and impressively invited reflections on this new openness.

"Wandrelief / Relieve de pared / Wall Relief"
Acero inoxidable / stainless steel, 1970
“Moislinger Mitte” (Lübeck-Moisling, Alemania / Germany). Wikimedia Commons

His works became internationally exportable and a figurehead of the new epoch, which heralded the end of the Cold War, for example the fountain in front of the German Embassy in Brasilia or his works at Expo '70 in Osaka.
The combination of drawing, painting and architecture in sculpture was one of his main artistic interests, which he approached from many different directions. In his late work from 1996, he took up the work group "Paysages architectuals" of the 60s and continued to develop these architectural landscapes of white plastic in a variety such as musical variations on a theme. Among other things, he also worked as a designer and developed furniture, interiors and for example for Rosenthal a coffee and tea service, glasses and the "Sunball" ball chair (1969), which is being produced again since 2015 as a replica.
He died in 2005.

"Gran escultura de pared de porcelana Rosenthal / Large Rosenthal Porcelain Wall Sculpture"
Piezas de porcelana montadas sobre madera cubierta de laminado negro /
Porcelain pieces mounted to black laminate covered wood back., 25,4 x 121,92 cm., 1968. 1stdibs


El 17 de Mayo es el cumple de

Joseph Ernst von Bandel, arquitecto, escultor y pintor alemán nacido en 1800 en Ansbach. Es conocido por sus 38 años de trabajo en el monumental Hermannsdenkmal (Monumento a Arminio o Hermann).
A los catorce años comenzó a tomar lecciones de dibujo en la Academia de Bellas Artes de Nuremberg. Dos años después se fue a Múnich para solicitar un puesto en la Oficina Forestal Real de Baviera. Mientras estuvo allí, conoció al arquitecto Karl von Fischer y se convirtió en su alumno.
La muerte de su padre en 1818 y el estrés financiero resultante casi lo obligaron a renunciar a su interés en el arte, pero a través de las conexiones de su padre con la familia real, pudo obtener una generosa donación del Rey Maximiliano I.
En 1820 ingresó en la Academia de Bellas Artes de Munich, primero como pintor, pero pronto se dedicó a esculpir. En 1819/20, trabajó en los primeros borradores para una estatua de Arminio. Con un estipendio final del rey, pudo estudiar y trabajar en Italia desde 1825 hasta 1827.

"Hermannsdenkmal / Monumento a Arminio o Hermann / Hermann Monument"
Placas de cobre sobre marco de hierro, pedestal de arenisca /
copper plates on iron frame, sandstone pedestal.
Altura / height: 53,44 m. Pedestal & base: 28,62 m. Figura / Figure: 24,82 m.
Bosque de Teotoburgo, Renania-Westfalia del norte, Alemania /
Teutoburger Wald, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Wikimedia Commons


El sucesor de Maximiliano, Ludwig I, le pidió a Leo von Klenze que diseñara el monumento conmemorativo de Walhalla cerca de Regensburg entre 1830 y 1842. Bandel contribuyó al trabajo e hizo la estatua de Franz von Sickingen. Sin embargo, sintió que el diseño neoclásico era ajeno a Alemania y por lo tanto inapropiado para un monumento nacional. Bandel también tuvo problemas personales con algunos de sus colegas y con el rey. Se encontró recibiendo poco apoyo o comprensión del nuevo rey, por lo que se mudó a Berlín en 1834.
De 1837 a 1846, vivió en Detmold, trabajando en el Hermannsdenkmal, que había sido un sueño de toda la vida de Bandel. Conmemora una victoria sobre tres legiones romanas por el príncipe Cherusciano, Arminio (Hermann, en alemán), en el año 9 dC.

Después de una gran cantidad de apoyo inicial para el proyecto, el interés público comenzó a menguar y las donaciones disminuyeron drásticamente. Bandel tuvo que agotar toda su fortuna personal en un esfuerzo por completar el monumento. En 1846 tuvo una disputa con el Hermannsverein (la asociación cívica que promovía el proyecto) sobre asuntos financieros. Regresó a Hanover, quebró y se amargó, pero comenzó a solicitar donaciones nuevamente. Después del final de la guerra franco-prusiana, el gobierno y el público reavivaron su entusiasmo por el proyecto.
La estatua fue finalmente inaugurada el 16 de agosto de 1875 por Kaiser William I. Después de la creación del Imperio Alemán, el Reichstag y el Kaiser habían proporcionado la suma necesaria para completarla. Bandel participó en la ceremonia, y ahora se había convertido en una celebridad, colmado de honores, incluida la ciudadanía honoraria de Detmold (1871) y Ansbach (1875). William I le otorgó un estipendio de por vida de 4.000 táleros por año.
Sin embargo, Bandel se había visto debilitado por los años de trabajo, expuesto en la cima de la montaña y por una enfermedad renal.
Murió en 1876.

Ernst von Bandel con la cabeza de Arminio. Según Ludwig Hoener, la fotografía se tomó en el taller del escultor en la calle Eisen Nº 1, al sudeste de la estación de trenes / 
Ernst von Bandel with the head of the Hermanndenkmal. According to Ludwig Hoerner the photo was taken in the workshop of the sculptor in "Eisenstraße 1, Southeast of the railway station".

On May 17 is the birthday of

Joseph Ernst von Bandel, German architect, sculptor and painter born in 1800 in Ansbach. He is best known for his 38 years of work on the monumental Hermannsdenkmal.
At fourteen, Ernst von Bandel began to take drawing lessons at the Academy of Fine Arts, Nuremberg. Two years later, he went to Munich to apply for a position with the Royal Bavarian Forestry Office. While there, he met the architect Karl von Fischer and became his student.
His father's death in 1818 and the resulting financial stress almost forced him to give up his interest in art, but through his father's connections with the royal family, he was able to arrange a generous grant from King Maximilian I.
In 1820 he entered the Academy of Fine Arts, Munich, first as a painter but soon switched to sculpting. In 1819/20, he first worked on drafts for a statue of Arminius. With a final stipendium from the king, he was able to study and work in Italy from 1825 to 1827.
Maximilian's successor, Ludwig I, asked Leo von Klenze to design the Walhalla memorial near Regensburg between 1830 and 1842. Bandel contributed to the work and made the statue of Franz von Sickingen. However, he felt the Neoclassical design to be alien to Germany and thus inappropriate for a national memorial. Bandel also had personal problems with some of his colleagues and the king. Bandel found himself receiving little support or understanding from the new king, so he moved to Berlin in 1834.

"Friedrich von Gärtner" (1791 - 1847), yeso / plaster, 58 x 32,2 x 27,2 cm., 1831. Sammlung

From 1837 to 1846, he lived in Detmold, working on the Hermannsdenkmal, which had been a lifelong dream of Bandel's. It commemorates a victory over three Roman Legions by the Cheruscian prince, Arminius (Hermann, in German), in 9 AD.
After a great deal of initial support for the project, public interest began to wane and donations decreased dramatically. Bandel had to use up his entire personal fortune in an effort to complete the monument. In 1846, he had a falling out with the Hermannsverein (the civic association promoting the project) over financial issues. He returned to Hanover, broke and embittered, but began re-soliciting donations. After the end of the Franco-Prussian War, the government and the public found their enthusiasm for the project restored.
The statue was finally inaugurated on 16 August 1875 by (as he now was) Kaiser William I. After the creation of the German Empire, the Reichstag and the Kaiser had provided the necessary sum for completion. Bandel took part in the ceremony, and by now had become a celebrity, showered with honors including honorary citizenship of Detmold (1871) and Ansbach (1875). William I awarded him a lifelong stipend of 4,000 thaler per year.
However, Bandel had been weakened by the years of work on the exposed hilltop and by kidney disease.
He died in 1876.

"Koenig Maximilian I / El rey Maximiliano I / Bust of King Maximilian I", mármol / marble, 1826.
Bayerisches Nationalmuseum (Múnich, Alemania / München, Germany). Wikimedia Commons


El 18 de Mayo es el cumple de

Michael Sandle, escultor y artista británico nacido en 1936 en Weymouth, Dorset.
Su padre servía en la Marina Real. De 1951 a 1954 estudió en la Escuela de Arte y Tecnología de Douglas en la Isla de Man, y luego fue reclutado por dos años para el Servicio Nacional en la Artillería Real.
Después de asistir a clases nocturnas en Chester College of Art, estudió grabado en Londres en la Slade School of Fine Art de 1956 a 1959. Después de viajar a Italia y París, Sandle enseñó en varias escuelas de arte británicas en la década de 1960. Originalmente pintor y dibujante, en la década de 1960 gravitó hacia la escultura.
De 1970 a 1973 vivió en Canadá. En 1973 se mudó a Alemania y enseñó en Pforzheim y Berlín. Se convirtió en profesor de escultura en la Akademie der Bildenden Künste en Karlsruhe en 1980. De 1976 a 1982 fue miembro de la facultad de grabado en el British School de Roma. En 1982 fue elegido Asociado de la Real Academia y en 1989 fue Académico. Después de mudarse a Devon, regresó a Londres en 2003.

"Der Trommler / El percusionista / The Drummer"
Bronce / bronze, 264 × 134 × 99 cm., 1985 - fundición / cast 1987
Tate Gallery (Londres, Reino Unido / London, UK)

Sus obras públicas incluyen: un monumento conmemorativo (1985) a las víctimas del accidente de un CH-47 del ejército estadounidense en Mannheim durante las Jornadas Aeronáuticas de la ciudad el 11 de septiembre de 1982; una gran estatua de bronce de San Jorge y el Dragón (1987-88) para una plaza pública en Dorset Rise, Londres; el International Seafarer's Memorial (2001), por fuera de la sede de la Organización Marítima Internacional en Albert Embankment en Londres, y muchos otros.
Ha expuesto en la 5ª Bienal de París, la Bienal de Sao Paulo y la 4ª y 6ª Documenta en Kassel. Ejemplos de sus obras se encuentran en la Tate Gallery de Londres, el Metropolitan Museum of Art en Nueva York, la Australian National Gallery en Canberra, el Hakone Museum en Japón y el British Museum. Una gran retrospectiva de su obra se llevó a cabo en la Whitechapel Art Gallery en 1988 y luego en el Wurttembergischer Kunstverein en Stuttgart en 1989. Se convirtió en miembro de la Royal Society of British Escultores en 1994.

"Caballo de San Jorge / St George's Horse", bronce / bronze, 2007. Flowers

"Cosecharás lo que siembras: Una alegoría (Reconocimiento a Holman Hunt) /
As ye sow so shall ye reap: An Allegory (Acknowledgements to Holman Hunt)"
Royal Academy / Real Academia (Londres, Reino Unido / London, UK

On May 18 is the birthday of

Michael Sandle, British sculptor and artist born in 1936 in Weymouth, Dorset.
His father was serving in the Royal Navy. From 1951 to 1954 he studied at Douglas School of Art and Technology on the Isle of Man, and was then conscripted for two years' National Service in the Royal Artillery.
After attending evening classes at Chester College of Art, he studied printmaking in London at the Slade School of Fine Art from 1956 to 1959. After travelling to Italy and Paris Sandle taught at various British art schools in the 1960s. Originally a painter and draftsman, in the 1960s he gravitated towards sculpture.
From 1970 to 1973 Sandle lived in Canada. In 1973 he moved to Germany, and taught in Pforzheim and Berlin. He became professor of sculpture at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste in Karlsruhe in 1980. From 1976 to 1982 he was a member of the faculty of engraving at the British School in Rome. In 1982 he was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy, and in 1989 a full Academician. After moving to Devon he returned to London in 2003.


"San Jorge y el Dragón / Saint George and the Dragon"
Bronce / bronze, altura / height aprox. 9 m., Dorset Rise (Lincoln, Reino Unido / UK). Tim Whitton

His public works include: a memorial (1985) to the victims of the crash of a US Army CH-47 in Mannheim during the city's Aeronautical Days on 11 September 1982; a large bronze statue of St George and the Dragon (1987–88) for a public square in Dorset Rise, London; the International Seafarer's Memorial (2001), outside the headquarters of the International Maritime Organisation on the Albert Embankment in London, and many others.
He has exhibited at the 5th Paris Biennale, the Sao Paulo Biennial, and the 4th and 6th Documenta in Kassel. Examples of his works are held by the Tate Gallery in London, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Australian National Gallery in Canberra, the Hakone Museum in Japan, and the British Museum. A major retrospective of his work was held at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1988 and then at the Wurttembergischer Kunstverein in Stuttgart in 1989. He became a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors in 1994.

"Un fuerte golpe por la libertad / A Mighty Blow for Freedom"
Bronce / bronze. Por fuera de la Galería Usher / Outside the Usher Gallery
(Lincoln, Reino Unido / UK). Foto / Photo: mira66 Flickr
_______________________________

El 18 de Mayo es el cumple de

Antonio Chiattone, escultor suizo nacido en 1856 en Lugano. Era el hermano mayor del escultor Giuseppe Chiattone y tío del arquitecto Mario Chiattone.
Después de asistir a la escuela de dibujo en Lugano se formó como escultor en la Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera en Milán. Allí abrió un estudio en el que también trabajó su hermano Giuseppe. Ambos ganaron notoriedad a través de monumentos funerarios. En 1887 regresaron a Lugano y abrieron un estudio conjunto allí.
Desde 1891 Chiattone trató con otros artistas para el establecimiento de un museo de arte en Lugano, pero el proyecto no se materializó. En 1892 conoció a la emperatriz Elisabeth y consiguió varios encargos de la familia imperial austriaca. Entre otras cosas, creó en 1895 en Corfú un monumento en honor del Archiduque Rudolf y en 1902 otro monumento en Montreux en memoria de la emperatriz asesinada.

Place des Roses (Montreux-Territet, Suiza / Switzerland). Wikimedia Commons

En 1900 Chiattone participó en la Exposición Mundial de París. Dos años más tarde creó una estatua de Guillermo Tell para el Consejo Nacional del Bundeshaus en Berna. Su obra Il Riposo, 1881/1891, hecha de mármol, es visible en el Museo Cantonal de Arte de Lugano. Su monumento funerario para Aristide Bergès, 1904, se encuentra en Cimetière de Terre-Cabade de Toulouse.
Murió en 1904.

"Impératrice Elisabeth / La Emperatriz Elizabeth / Empress Elisabeth", 1902
Place des Roses (Montreux-Territet, Suiza / Switzerland). Wikimedia Commons

Emperatriz Elizabeth (Sissi) en "El Hurgador" / in this blog[Recolección (LXII)], [Recolección (LXXVII)]

On May 18 is the birthday of

Antonio Chiattone, Swiss sculptor born in 1856 in Lugano. He was the older brother of the sculptor Giuseppe Chiattone and uncle of the architect Mario Chiattone.
After attending the drawing school in Lugano, Chiattone trained as a sculptor at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera in Milan. There he opened a studio in which also his brother Giuseppe worked. Both gained notoriety through grave monuments. In 1887 they returned to Lugano and opened a joint studio there.
From 1891 Chiattone sat down with other artists for the establishment of an art museum in Lugano, but the project did not materialize. In 1892 he made the acquaintance of Empress Elisabeth and thereby secured several orders of the Austrian imperial family. Among other things, he created in 1895 in Corfu a monument in honor of Archduke Rudolf and 1902 another monument in Montreux in memory of the murdered Empress.

"Monumento a Rodolfo, hijo de la Emperatriz Sissi / Monument for Rudolf, son of empress 'Sisi'", 1890s
Aquileón / Achilleion (Corfu, Grecia / Greece)

In 1900 Chiattone took part in the World Exhibition in Paris, two years later he created a statue of William Tell for the National Council Hall of the Bundeshaus in Bern. His work Il Riposo, 1881/1891, made of marble, is visible in Museo Cantonale d'Arte of Lugano. His monument funéraire pour Aristide Bergès, 1904, is located in Cimetière de Terre-Cabade of Toulouse.
He died in 1904.

"Riposo / Reposo / Rest", mármol blanco / white marble, 35 x 77 x 157 cm., 1900
Museo Cantonale (Lugano, Suiza / Switzerland). VN


El 19 de Mayo es el cumple de

Giovanni della Robbia, escultor y ceramista renacentista italiano nacido en 1469 en Florencia.
Era hijo de Andrea della Robbia (1435-1525), hermano de Girolamo della Robbia (1488-1566) y sobrino nieto de Luca della Robbia (1399 / 1400-1482).
Durante gran parte de su vida trabajó como asistente de su padre y heredó el taller después de su muerte, mejorando el carácter policromado de los trabajos de esmaltado de la cerámica. En muchos casos la escultura esmaltada de los dos era difícil de distinguir, y una gran cantidad de piezas de Robbia que se atribuyeron a Andrea, e incluso a su tío Luca, fueron realizadas por Giovanni. Ni Luca ni Andrea tenían la costumbre de firmar su obra, pero Giovanni a menudo lo hacía, generalmente añadiendo la fecha, probablemente porque otros alfareros habían comenzado a imitar la cerámica de Robbia.

"San Antonino, Arzobispo dominicano de Florencia (1389, arzobispo en 1446, 1459) / 
Saint Antonino, Dominican Archbishop of Florence (b. 1389, archbishop 1446, d. 1459)"
Cartapesta pintada / painted, altura / height: 45,7 cm., primera mitad s.XVI / first half 16th century
Metropolitan Museum of Art (Nueva York, EE.UU./ NY, USA)

Una de sus mejores obras es un gran retablo en Volterra, en la iglesia de San Girolamo, fechado en 1501. Representa el juicio final, y es notable por el fino modelado de las figuras, especialmente el del arcángel Miguel, y una figura desnuda de rodillas de un joven que acaba de levantarse de su tumba.
Giovanni no solo copió la obra de Luca y Andrea, sino que incluso reprodujo en arcilla la escultura de mármol de Antonio del Pollaiolo, Da Settignano y Verrocchio y otros.
La obra más grande y tal vez mejor de Giovanni es el friso policromado en el exterior del hospital Ospedale del Ceppo en Pistoia (iniciado en 1514), por el que recibió varias sumas de dinero entre 1525 y 1529, según se registra en documentos que aún existen entre los archivos del hospital. Los temas de este friso son las Siete Obras de la Misericordia, formando una banda continua de escultura en alto relieve, diseñada en una forma escultórica muy amplia, pero con una coloración un tanto tosca. Seis de estos relieves son de Giovanni.
Murió en 1529.

"Virgen arrodillada / Kneeling Madonna", terracota, parcialmente vidriada y dorada /
terracotta, partially glazed and gilded, altura / height: 41,9 cm., c.1490-1500
Metropolitan Museum of Art (Nueva York, EE.UU./ NY, USA)

"San Juan Niño / Boy Saint John"
Terracota esmaltada y pintada / terracotta, enamelled and painted, altura / height: 36,5 cm. s.XV-XVI
Metropolitan Museum of Art (Nueva York, EE.UU./ NY, USA)

On May 19 is the birthday of

Giovanni della Robbia, Italian Renaissance sculptor and ceramic artist born in 1469 in Florence.
He was the son of Andrea della Robbia (1435–1525), brother of Girolamo della Robbia (1488–1566) and grandnephew of Luca della Robbia (1399/1400–1482).
During a great part of his life he worked as assistant to his father and inherited the workshop after his father's death, enhancing the polychrome character of the ceramic glaze works. In many cases the enamelled sculpture of the two were difficult to distinguish, and a very large number of pieces of Robbia-ware which were attributed to Andrea, and even to Andrea’s uncle Luca, were really by the hand of Giovanni. Neither Luca nor Andrea was in the habit of signing his work, but Giovanni often did so, usually adding the date, probably because other potters had begun to imitate the Robbia ware.

"Giudizio Universale / Juicio Final / Last Judgement"
Terracota esmaltada / enameled terracotta, 1501
Iglesia de / Church of San Girolamo (Volterra, Toscana, Italia / Italy)
Foto / Photo: Renzo Dionigi, flickr

One of his finest works is a large retable at Volterra in the church of San Girolamo, dated 1501; it represents the Last Judgment, and is remarkable for the fine modelling of the figures, especially that of the archangel Michael, and a nude kneeling figure of a youth who has just risen from his tomb.
Giovanni not only copied the work of Luca and Andrea, but even reproduced in clay the marble sculpture of Antonio del Pollaiolo, Da Settignano, Verrocchio and others.
Giovanni's largest and perhaps finest work is the polychromatic frieze on the outside of the Ospedale del Ceppo hospital at Pistoia (itself begun in 1514), for which he received various sums of money between 1525 and 1529, as is recorded in documents which still exist among the archives of the hospital. The subjects of this frieze are the Seven Works of Mercy, forming a continuous band of sculpture in high relief, designed in a very broad sculpturesque way, but with somewhat crude colouring. Six of these reliefs are by Giovanni.
He died in 1529.

"Piedad / Pietà"
Terracota pintada / terracotta, painted, 102,9 × 171,1 cm. principios del s.XVI / early 16th century
Metropolitan Museum of Art (Nueva York, EE.UU./ NY, USA)


Hoy, 20 de Mayo, es el cumple de

Ásmundur Sveinsson, escultor nacido en 1893 en Kolsstadir, en el oeste de Islandia.
En 1915 se mudó a Reikiavik donde se matriculó en el Colegio Técnico de Islandia y fue aprendiz del escultor Ríkarður Jónsson durante cuatro años. En 1919 se trasladó a Copenhague, Dinamarca, y de allí a Estocolmo, Suecia, donde se matriculó en la Academia de Bellas Artes, donde permaneció durante seis años, gran parte de los cuales los pasó estudiando con el escultor Carl Milles. En 1924 se casó con la escultora Gunnfríður Jónsdóttir, de quien más tarde se divorció. Después de graduarse de la Academia se mudó a París, Francia, donde continuó su estudio, aquí bajo el escultor Charles Despiau.
Ásmundur regresó a Islandia en 1929 y comenzó a producir una serie de obras de abstracción figurativa. Sus temas eran a menudo hombres y mujeres en el trabajo e incluían piezas como El herrero, La lavandera y El aguatero. Durante la década de 1940, el trabajo de Ásmundur se alejó aún más de la forma humana y animal que había sido su pilar principal hasta entonces y en la década de 1950 ya estaba produciendo un trabajo que era casi completamente abstracto.

"Helreiðin (stækkun) / Cabalgata infernal (agrandada) / Hell Ride (enlarged)"
Hormigón / concrete, 400 x 600 cm., 1944. Pinterest
Jardín de esculturas del Museo Ásmundur Sveinsson (Reykjavík, Islandia / Iceland)

Ásmundur hizo "Helreiðin / Cabalgata infernal" en Reykjavík en 1944. Originalmente se hizo en yeso de París, y más tarde en madera. Se amplió en hormigón en 1965. La escultura es a la vez compleja y monumental en comparación con las piezas anteriores del artista, y sin embargo construida con gran consistencia interna: la cabeza del caballo y el hombre se apoyan simétricamente a lados opuestos, además de que en el caballo las patas delanteras se funden perfectamente con su cuello. El hombre y el caballo parecen estar integrados en uno en la simplicidad de la escultura, y esto otorga a la pieza una poderosa identidad.

Ásmundur made ""Helreiðin / Hell Ride" in Reykjavík in 1944. It was originally made in plaster of Paris, and later in wood. It was enlarged in concrete in 1965. The sculpture is at once complex and monumental by comparison with the artist's previous pieces, and yet constructed with great internal consistency: the horse’s head and the man lean symmetrically to opposite sides, in addition to which the horse's forefeet merge perfectly into its neck. Man and horse appear to be integrated into one in the simplicity of the sculpture, and this lends the piece a powerful identity.

Al igual que muchos artistas islandeses, se basó en las tradiciones de su país natal cuando buscaban temas para inspirarse. Estos incluyen Trollwoman, (1948), Head Ransom, (1948), basado en un poema que Egil Skallagrimsson compuso para salvar su propia cabeza y Bleep-Ride, (1944) tomado de la Prosa Edda de Snorri Sturlusson. Su Sæmundur and the Seal, también en esta línea, está situado frente al edificio principal de la Universidad de Islandia en Reykjavík.
En general el artista creía en colocar obras de arte no solo en manos de una pequeña élite, sino también en hacerlas accesibles al público. Otras obras suyas se encuentran en la colina Öskjuhlíð, cerca de Perlan, en Reykjavík, o en la granja de Borg á Mýrum cerca de Borgarnes. La escultura abstracta aquí representa al héroe de la saga Egill con su hijo muerto en sus brazos. El título Sonartorrek se refiere a un poema que Egill Skallagrimsson escribió sobre esta escena.
Murió en 1982.

"Tröllkonan (stækkun) / Mujer Troll (agrandada) / Trollwoman (enlarged)"
Altura / height: 350 cm., 1948. Pinterest
Jardín de esculturas del Museo Ásmundur Sveinsson (Reykjavík, Islandia / Iceland)

La versión original fue realizada en hormigón y obsidiana. La escultura fue agrandada en 1975 /
The original version was made in concrete and obsidian. The sculpture was enlarged in 1975.

Today, May 20, is the birthday of

Ásmundur Sveinsson, Icelandic sculptor, born in 1893 at Kolsstadir, in West Iceland.
In 1915 Ásmundur moved to Reykjavík where he enrolled in the Technical College of Iceland and apprenticed with sculptor Ríkarður Jónsson for four years. In 1919 he relocated to Copenhagen, Denmark, and from there to Stockholm, Sweden, where he enrolled in the Academy of Fine Arts where he remained for six years, much of it spent studying with sculptor Carl Milles. In 1924 he married sculptor Gunnfríður Jónsdóttir, whom he later divorced. After graduating from the Academy, Ásmundur moved to Paris, France where he continued his study, here under the sculptor Charles Despiau.
Ásmundur returned to Iceland in 1929 and began producing a series of abstracted figurative works. His themes were often men and women at work and included such pieces as, The Blacksmith, The Washer Women and The Water Carrier. During the 1940s Ásmundur's work moved even farther away from the human and animal form that had been his mainstay until then and by the 1950s he was producing work that was almost entirely abstract.

"Vantsberinn / Aguatera / Water Carrier"
Bronce / bronze, 160 x 206 cm., 1937. Grapevine
Esquina de / Corner of Bernhöftstorfan / Lækjargata (Reykjavík, Islandia / Iceland)

Like many Icelandic artists drew upon the traditions of his native country when seeking subjects to inspire him. These include Trollwoman, (1948), Head Ransom, (1948), based on a poem that Egil Skallagrimsson composed to save his own head and bleep-Ride, (1944) taken from the Prose Edda of Snorri Sturlusson. His Sæmundur and the Seal, also in this vein, is situated in front of the main building of the University of Iceland in Reykjavík.
Generally, the artist believed in placing works of art not only in the hands of a small elite, but also in making them accessible to the public. Other works of Ásmundur Sveinsson are to be found on the hill Öskjuhlíð near Perlan in Reykjavík or at the farm of Borg á Mýrum near Borgarnes. The abstract sculpture here represents the saga hero Egill having his dead son in his arms. The title Sonartorrek is referring to a poem which Egill Skallagrimsson wrote about this scene.
He died in 1982.

"Sæmundur á selnum / y la foca / and the Seal"
Bronce / bronze, 300 x 190 cm., 1926. Stjórnarráð Íslands
Campus de la Universidad de Islandia (Reykjavík, Islandia / Iceland). Link

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...