viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2018

Los leones en la escultura / Lions in Sculpture (III)

Leones en Viena / Lions in Vienna

Palacio de Justicia / Justice Palace

Justizpalast / Palacio de justicia / Justice Palace. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

El Palacio de Justicia (Justizpalast) es la sede del Tribunal Supremo (Oberster Gerichtshof) de Austria. El edificio neorrenacentista erigido de 1875 a 1881 se encuentra en la capital austriaca, Viena, en Schmerlingplatz, una plaza cerca del bulevar Ringstraße, en el distrito central de Innere Stadt.

The Palace of Justice (German: Justizpalast) is the seat of the Supreme Court (Oberster Gerichtshof) of Austria. The Neo-Renaissance building erected from 1875 to 1881 is located in the Austrian capital Vienna on Schmerlingplatz, a square near the Ringstraße boulevard in the central district of Innere Stadt.

Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes 8/2011

Los leones de arenisca que flaquean el acceso al Palacio fueron creados por Emanuel Pendl, pintor y escultor austríaco nacido en 1845 en Merano, Italia, con raíces del Tirol del Sur (hijo del escultor Franz Xaver Pendl y nieto de Johann Baptist Pendl). Fue el padre de Erwin Pendl.
Hasta 1866 estudió en la Academia de Bellas Artes de Venecia con Luigi Ferrari. Luego fue a Viena y estudió en la Academia de Bellas Artes.
Creó numerosas esculturas monumentales para edificios vieneses o joyas artísticas, como el Palacio de Justicia, el Burgtheater, el Parlamento, la Universidad de Viena y el Ayuntamiento de Viena. Otros objetos significativos de Pendl son las esculturas en el edificio principal de la Universidad Karl Franzens, así como en la fachada del ayuntamiento en Graz y el monumento Andreas Hofer en Merano.
Murió en 1927.

Los dos leones / The Two Lions. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

The sandstone lions guarding the entrance into the Palace of Justice (Justizpalast) on Schmerling square (Schmerlingplatz) in Vienna, were created by Austrian painter and sculptor Emanuel Pendl, born in 1845 in Merano, Italy, with South Tyrolean roots (son of the sculptor Franz Xaver Pendl and grandson of Johann Baptist Pendl). He was the father of Erwin Pendl.
Until 1866 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Venice with Luigi Ferrari. Then he went to Vienna and studied at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts.
He has created numerous monumental sculptures for Vienna buildings or provided with artistic jewelry, such as at the Palace of Justice, the Burgtheater, the Parliament, the University of Vienna and the Vienna City Hall. Other significant Pendl's objects are the sculptures on the main building of the Karl Franzens University as well as on the facade of the town hall in Graz and the Andreas Hofer monument in Merano.
He died in 1927.
______________________________________________

Palacio Imperial de Hofburg / Hofburg Imperial Palace

Fachada Neue Burg de Hofburg vista desde la Heldenplatz /
Hofburg Neue Burg Facade from Heldenplatz. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

El Hofburg es el antiguo palacio imperial principal de los gobernantes de la dinastía Habsburgo y hoy sirve como residencia oficial y lugar de trabajo del presidente de Austria. Se encuentra en el centro de Viena y fue construido en el siglo XIII y ampliado después varias veces. También sirvió como la residencia de invierno imperial, ya que el Palacio de Schönbrunn era la residencia de verano.
Hay leones flanqueando las entradas de la fachada frente a la Heldenplatz y en la Puerta Suiza.

Fachada Neue Burg de Hofburg con los leones / Hofburg Neue Burg Facade with the lions

The Hofburg is the former principal imperial palace of the Habsburg dynasty rulers and today serves as the official residence and workplace of the President of Austria. It is located in the center of Vienna and was built in the 13th century and expanded several times afterwards. It also served as the imperial winter residence, as Schönbrunn Palace was the summer residence.
There are lions flanking the entrances of the facade in front of the Heldenplatz and that of the Swiss Gate.

El león de la izquierda / The Lion on the Left. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Los leones son obra de Fritz Zerritsch el Viejo, un escultor austriaco nacido en 1865 en Viena.
Estudió en la Kunstgewerbeschule Wien con Otto König y luego trabajó durante ocho años en el estudio de Viktor Tilgners. Su hijo Fritz Zerritsch el Joven, nacido en 1888, fue pintor. Después de que Tilgners muriera en 1896, Zerritsch se hizo cargo de su taller y completó obras inconclusas de Tilgner, incluido el monumento a Hans Makart en el Parque de la Ciudad de Viena, que se inauguró el 13 de junio de 1898. Zerritsch vivió en el distrito de Döbling en Viena, en la calle Himmel Nº 33. A su muerte en 1938 fue enterrado en el cementerio vienés de Grinzing (Grupo 2, Número 41). En su honor fue nombrada la ruta de conexión entre Kahlenbergerstraße y Armbrustergasse en Zerritschgasse, en el distrito de Döblingen de Heiligenstadt.

El león de la derecha / The Lion on the Right. Foto / Photo: Pinterest

La puerta suiza / The Swiss Gate. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

La puerta suiza en una postal de 1912 / The Swiss Gate in a 1912 postcard. Foto / Photo: PicClick

El león de la izquierda / The Lion on the Left

The Lions are the work of Fritz Zerritsch the Elder, an Austrian sculptor born in 1865 in Vienna.
He studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule Wien with Otto König and then worked for eight years in the studio of Viktor Tilgners. His son Fritz Zerritsch the Younger, born in 1888, worked as a painter. After Tilgners died in 1896, Zerritsch took over his workshop and completed some unfinished work by Tilgner, including the monument to Hans Makart in Vienna City Park, which was unveiled on June 13, 1898. Zerritsch lived in the district of Döbling in Vienna and lived in the Himmelstraße 33. After his death in 1938, he was buried in a grave of the city of Vienna at the Grinzing Cemetery (Group 2, Number 41). In his honor, the connecting route between the Kahlenbergerstraße and the Armbrustergasse in Zerritschgasse was also named in the Döblingen district of Heiligenstadt.
______________________________________________

Otto-Wagner-Spital
Hospital de Otto Wagner, Steinhof

Es un hospital en Viena, Austria. Originalmente era un hospital psiquiátrico y un centro de neumología.
El hospital se encuentra en el distrito 14 de Viena, Penzing, y fue construido según los planos del arquitecto Otto Wagner e inaugurado en 1907. El edificio está formado por 60 pabellones diseñados por Carlo von Boog.

Kurhaus und Brunnen mit Löwenskulpturen / Casa de spa y fuente con esculturas de leones /
Spa house and fountain with lion sculptures. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Is a hospital in Vienna, Austria. It was originally a psychiatric hospital and center for pulmonology.
The hospital lies in the 14th district of Vienna, Penzing, and was built according to the plans of architect Otto Wagner and opened in 1907. The building is made up of 60 pavilions that were designed by Carlo von Boog.

Leones / Lions. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Leon de la izquierda / Lion on the Left. Foto / PhotoWikimedia Commons

Leon de la derecha / Lion on the Right. Foto / PhotoWikimedia Commons
______________________________________________

El león de Aspern / The Aspern Lion

"León de Aspern / Lion of Aspern", arenista / sandstone, 1958. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

El "León de Aspern" se encuentra en la plaza frente a la iglesia parroquial de San Martín en Aspern, un distrito de la capital austríaca de Viena.
La escultura de arenisca, de tamaño mayor que el natural, representa un león moribundo yacente sobre una base y pedestal de piedra con una guirnalda de hojas de roble. Entre las patas delanteras, un águila napoleónica, debajo del cuerpo del Manto del Emperador, y en el lado izquierdo del animal, un símbolo de campo. Detrás del omóplato izquierdo debajo de la melena, se ve la punta de la espada que ha perforado el león.
La obra fue realizada por Anton von Fernkorn en memoria de los soldados austriacos caídos en la Batalla de Aspern los días 21 y 22 de mayo de 1809, durante la Quinta Guerra de Coalición.

"León de Aspern / Lion of Aspern" (detalle / detail). Foto / PhotoWikimedia Commons

The lion of Aspern is placed on the square in front of the parish church of St. Martin in Aspern, a district of the Austrian capital Vienna.
The larger-than-life sandstone sculpture depicts a recumbent dying lion on a stone foundation and a stone pedestal with an oak-leaf garland. Between the fore-paws a Napoleonic eagle, beneath the body of the Emperor's Mantle, and on the left side of the animal a field symbol. Behind the left shoulder blade below the mane, the tip of the sword that has pierced the lion sees out.
A work by Anton von Fernkorn from 1858 in memory of the fallen Austrian soldiers at the Battle of Aspern on 21 and 22 May 1809 in the course of the Fifth Coalition War.

"León de Aspern / Lion of Aspern", vista trasera / back view. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Anton Dominik Ritter von Fernkorn fue un escultor germano-austriaco nacido en 1813 en Erfurt.
Estudió escultura bajo la dirección de los escultores Johann Baptist Stiglmaier y Ludwig Michael Schwanthaler en Munich, 1836-40. Su primer proyecto escultórico, "San Jorge y el dragón" para el patio del palacio de Montenuovo, llamó la atención, y el gobierno austríaco lo nombró director de la fundición imperial de bronce en Viena en 1840, donde formó parte de la rebelión contra el Neoclasicismo de aqué tiempo y lugar. En 1858 completó, para la Catedral de Speyer, seis de las ocho estatuas de piedra libre de los emperadores alemanes enterradas allí.
Redescubrió la escultura barroca y la utilizó como base de su estatua ecuestre del Archiduque Carlos (1859), que había derrotado a Napoleón en la batalla de Aspern en 1809. En esta obra Fernkorn ejecutó hábilmente la difícil tarea de crear una estatua ecuestre monumental con el caballo (y el jinete) balanceándose con éxito sobre las dos patas traseras del caballo.
Su monumento ecuestre del Príncipe Eugenio de Saboya es menos exitoso y para el momento de su inauguración en 1865, la enfermedad mental de Fernkorn le impidió producir más obras.
Fernkorn es bien recordado por sus retratos, que incluyen un busto del emperador Francisco José I de Austria y el busto funerario de Carl Ludwig Freiherr von Bruck (1862). También fue un notable animalista, produciendo obras como el León de Aspern en Viena.
Murió en 1878.

"León de Aspern / Lion of Aspern" (detalle / detail). Foto / PhotoWikimedia Commons

Anton Dominik Ritter von Fernkorn was a German-Austrian sculptor born in 1813 in Erfurt.
Fernkorn studied sculpture under the sculptors Johann Baptist Stiglmaier and Ludwig Michael Schwanthaler in Munich, 1836-40. His first sculptural project, “Saint George and the Dragon” for the courtyard of the Montenuovo palace, attracted attention, and the Austrian government appointed him director of the imperial bronze foundry at Vienna, in 1840, where he was part of the rebellion against the Neo-Classicism of that time and place. For the Cathedral of Speyer, in 1858 he completed six of the eight free-stone statues of the German emperors buried there.
He rediscovered Baroque sculpture and used it as the basis for his equestrian statue of Archduke Charles (1859), who had defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Aspern in 1809. In this work Fernkorn skillfully executed the difficult task of creating a monumentally sized equestrian statue with the horse (and rider) successfully balanced on the horse's two rear legs.
His equestrian monument of Prince Eugene of Savoy is less successful and by the time of its unveiling in 1865, Fernkorn's mental illness made it impossible for him to produce any more work.
Fernkorn is well remembered for his portraits, and these include a bust of the Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria and the funerary bust of Carl Ludwig Freiherr von Bruck (1862). He was also a noted animalier, producing works such as the Lion of Aspern in Vienna.
He died in 1878.

La pieza presenta evidentes similitudes con el León de Lucerna, que vimos en el post I de esta serie /
The piece has obvious similarities with the Lion of Lucerne, which we saw in the post I of this series
______________________________________________

Vertedero y esclusa de Nussdorf / The Nussdorf Weir and Lock

El vertedero y la esclusa de Nussdorf son obras de ingeniería hidráulica ubicadas en el suburbio vienés de Nussdorf, en el punto donde el Donaukanal abandona el Danubio. El vertedero y la esclusa se construyeron después de la adopción de una nueva ley en julio de 1892, que también autorizó la construcción del Wiener Stadtbahn y la transformación del Donaukanal en un puerto de invierno.
El vertedero y la esclusa en Nussdorf se confunden comúnmente entre sí, aunque en realidad son dos obras separadas construidas para servir al mismo propósito.

Vertedero y esclusa de Nussdorf / Nussdorf Weir and Lock. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

The Nussdorf weir and lock are works of hydraulic engineering located in the Viennese suburb of Nussdorf at the point where the Donaukanal leaves the Danube. The weir and lock were built following the adoption of a new law in July 1892, which also authorised the construction of the Wiener Stadtbahn and the transformation of the Donaukanal into a winter harbour.
The weir and lock in Nussdorf are commonly confused with one another, although they are actually two separate constructions built to serve the same purpose.

Los leones / The Lions. Foto / Photo: KTM

Los dos leones que se miran de pie sobre los pilares del puente de la barrera son del escultor Rudolf Weyr, del 14 de mayo de 1911, Rudolf Ritter von Weyr, escultor austriaco de estilo neobarroco nacido en 1847 en Viena.
Estudió con Franz Bauer (1798-1872) y Josef Cesar (1814-1876) y fue empleado por este último durante muchos años. En 1875, fue contratado por Gottfried Semper y Carl Hasenauer para ayudarlos con su trabajo en el Kunsthistorisches Museum. En 1879, bajo la dirección de Hans Makart, diseñó la configuración de la mesa y otras piezas decorativas para el Aniversario de bodas de plata del Emperador. Desde finales de la década de 1880 trabajó solo y creó algunas de las figuras más importantes que adornan la Ringstraße.
En sus últimos años, Weyr sufrió una arteriosclerosis y murió de insuficiencia cardíaca inducida por neumonía en 1914

Uno de los leones / One of he Lions. Foto / PhotoKTM

The two up-looking lions standing on the piers of the barrier bridge are by the sculptor Rudolf Weyr, from 14 May 1911, Rudolf Ritter von Weyr, Austrian sculptor in the Neo-Baroque style born in 1847 in Vienna.
He studied under Franz Bauer (1798-1872) and Josef Cesar (1814-1876) and was employed by the latter for many years. In 1875, he was contracted by Gottfried Semper and Carl Hasenauer to assist them with their work on the Kunsthistorisches Museum. In 1879, under the direction of Hans Makart, he designed table settings and other decorative pieces for the Emperor's Silver Wedding Anniversary. From the late 1880s, he worked alone and created some of the most important figures that adorn the Ringstraße.
In his later years, Weyr suffered from arteriosclerosis and died of heart failure induced by pneumonia in 1914.

Uno de los leones / One of he Lions. Foto / PhotoWien mit dem Rad entdecken...
______________________________________________

Monumento fúnebre de María Cristina de Austria /
Cenotaph of Archduchess Maria Christina

La iglesia agustiniana (Augustinerkirche) en Viena es una iglesia parroquial situada en Josefsplatz, al lado del Hofburg, el palacio de invierno de la dinastía de los Habsburgo. Originalmente construida en el siglo VIX como la iglesia parroquial de la corte imperial de los Habsburgo, el interior gótico armonioso se añadió en el siglo XVIII. El nombre oficial de Iglesia y Parroquia es San Agustín, pero localmente se llama Augustinerkirche.
Notable en la iglesia es el monumento memorial a la Archiduquesa Maria Christina de Austria esculpido por Antonio Canova, en 1805.

Vista lateral / Side view. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

The Augustinian Church (Augustinerkirche) in Vienna is a parish church located on Josefsplatz, next to the Hofburg, the winter palace of the Habsburg dynasty. Originally built in the 14th century as the parish church of the imperial court of the Habsburgs, the harmonious Gothic interior was added in the 18th century. The official name of church and parish is St. Augustin, but it is locally called Augustinerkirche.
Notable among the church's monuments is the memorial to Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria sculpted by Antonio Canova, in 1805.

Detalle / detail. Foto / Photo: Wikimedia Commons

La obra escultórica se muestra como una gran pirámide blanca abierta en el centro por una oscura abertura, hacia la cual se dirige una triste procesión. Presenta la rigidez que caracteriza la nueva dirección artística de la escultura funeraria, dejando el movimiento en esta tradición del barroco realizado por Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
A la derecha, dos figuras durmientes, un león, símbolo de la «Fortaleza», otra virtud de María Cristina, y, apoyado en su espalda, un genio alado con suaves curvas. Representa a υπνος (que en griego significa "sueño"). En la mitología griega, υπνος es hermano de θανατος (que en griego significa "muerte"). Esto indica que la muerte es vista como un sueño eterno. Wikipedia

Foto / Photo: Valeria. Instagram

The sculptural work is shown as a large white pyramid opened in the center by a dark gate, towards which a sad procession is directed. It presents the rigidity that characterizes the new artistic direction of the funeral sculpture, leaving the movement in this tradition of the baroque made by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
On the right, two sleeping figures, a lion, symbol of the «Strenght», another virtue of Maria Cristina, and, leaning on her back, a winged genius with gentle curves. It represents υπνος (which in Greek means "sleep"). In Greek mythology, υπνος is brother of θανατος (that in Greek means "death"). This indicates that death is seen as an eternal sleep. Wikipedia

Antonio Canova en "El Hurgador" / in this blog: [Todos los enlaces / All links]
______________________________________________

Hundertwasserhaus / Casa Hundertwasser

Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 8/2011

La casa Hundertwasser es un edificio de apartamentos en Viena, Austria, construido a partir de la idea y concepto del artista austriaco Friedensreich Hundertwasser con el arquitecto Joseph Krawina como coautor. Este símbolo expresionista de Viena se encuentra en el distrito de Landstraße en la esquina de Kegelgasse y Löwengasse.

León frente a la Casa Hundertwasser / Lion in front of Hundertwasser House
Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 8/2011

Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 8/2011

The Hundertwasserhaus is an apartment house in Vienna, Austria, built after the idea and concept of Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser with architect Joseph Krawina as a co-author. This expressionist landmark of Vienna is located in the Landstraße district on the corner of Kegelgasse and Löwengasse.

León frente a la Casa Hundertwasser (detalle) / Lion in front of Hundertwasser House (detail)
Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 8/2011

León en la pared / Lion on the Wall. Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 8/2011

Friedensreich Hundertwasser en "El Hurgador" / in this blog[Aniversarios (XLVIII)]
______________________________________________

Otro león-fuente de pared en las calles de Viena / 
Another lion-fountain on the wall, in the streets of Vienna. Foto / Photo: Javier Fuentes, 8/2011
________________________________________

Otros posts de esta series / Other posts of this series:

[Leones en la escultura (I)], [Leones en la escultura (II)]

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...